It’s less than a month away from the first annual Mayberry in the Midwest Festival which will take place Saturday, May 17 and Sunday, May 18 in Danville, Indiana.
This festival is all about celebrating Mayberry and “The Andy Griffith Show.” Danville is already well-known for it’s celebration of Mayberry. It’s the home to the popular Mayberry Cafe, which draws fans from all over the country.
The festival sponsors are Brad and Christine Born (owners of the Mayberry Cafe) and Downtown Danville Partnership.
Mayberry in the Midwest is expected to draw large crowds (in the thousands) and fans of “The Andy Griffith Show” will have two fun-filled days of celebration. Fans will have the opportunity to meet two cast members, Maggie Peterson (who played Charlene Darling) and Rodney Dillard (who played Rodney Darling, one of the Darling boys).
There will be tribute artists at the festival portraying beloved characters like Ernest T. Bass, Floyd the Barber and Gomer Pyle.
What else is planned for the festival? Here are some more of the highlights:
- Mayberry Parade with tribute artists, squad cars, marching band, and Miss Mayberry contestants.
- Rodney Dillard and the Dillard band will perform a bluegrass concert in Ellis Park.
- Arts and craft vendors along the Courthouse Square.
- Entertainment by the tribute artists.
- Aunt Bee’s pie eating contest, a whistling contest and more fun contests.
- Squad Car Nationals in Ellis Park (where squad cars will compete for prizes).
Celebrate “The Andy Griffith Show” at Mayberry in the Midwest, May 17 and 18 in charming Danville, Indiana.
For more on Mayberry in the Midwest including event schedule, tickets, hotel accommodations and more, check the official website: www.mayberryinthemidwest.com or Facebook (search for Mayberry in the Midwest).